March 22, 2011

big boy room: hi sugarplum!


Cassie from Hi Sugarplum! (doesn't that name just make you smile?) has done a fantastic job transforming her home to fit the needs of everyone in it. She's a thoroughly creative DIY Queen--check out her tutorial on new-sew pillows! Today, Cassie is sharing some of her thoughts on the process of creating a cool, big kid bedroom for her 9-year-old son.

---

Hello Roost Readers! I'm Cassie from Hi Sugarplum! and I'm thrilled to be taking part in this fun series.

I've only designed one room with a guy in mind...and that was my 9-year-old son's 'Big Boy Room' last Summer. I chose strong, non-traditional colors in a masculine palette since the space is all his.
2

I think the lines of furniture contribute to the gender of a room as well. For instance, the clean, modern lines of his desk and dresser lean towards masculine:
13          5


Whereas the curved, delicate lines of my daughter's bed and dresser are extremely feminine:
100_2095100_2769

I also paid close attention to the accessories, making sure nothing was fussy or fancy.
9 

4  10

As for the rest of the house, it is a delicate balance to join the two genders. But fortunately I don't live with guys who are afraid of pink!
  
---
I'm sure any little boy would love such a cool space. Thank you, Cassie!
For more, check out Hi Sugarplum!

9 comments:

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Such great spaces, Cassie. It's fun to see the kids' rooms in the same post and look at the differences in all of the lines. Lucky children with those rooms!

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

i adore her little guys room!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

Love Cassie and love pretty much anything she touches! Obsessed much? Why yeah, kinda. (c: Great post!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum!} said...

Thanks for havingm me, Marissa!

The Zhush said...

Cassie this was great...and so true about the fuss free element. Love your taste and style! So glad you guest posted here today, as it led me here to this new to me blog...off to check out some more!:)

natasha {schue love} said...

Wonderful post and so glad to find a new blog to gush over! :)

emily said...

Love Cassie and her little boy's room is great!

Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

That is one of my favorite-ever kid rooms! I love how she did the stripes in varying sizes and the colors she used:)

classic • casual • home said...

I really like where she placed the clock and the striped pillow in the bed.... co-ordinating with the walls. Great job.