July 12, 2011

what to do with a boring console?


I got a little antsy this weekend and moved some furniture around. I had a little IKEA console shelf in my dining room that I moved to an empty wall in my living room. As you can see below, it hasn't been painted yet.


Here is what I already have going on in the living room--kind of a navy, grey, and chartreuse theme with a little bit of yellow in the floral pillow--along with the colors I'm considering for the console.
I will be the first to admit that my living room (whole house actually!) is not the glamorous sanctuary I wish it were. We're doing the grad school thing over here so MAKE DO is the current mantra. But my little vignette is so boring, it's killing me! It needs COLOR.

Do I...
Go traditional and match my trellis pillow with navy?
Choose chartreuse to tie in the pillows and bird prints?
Or do something totally bright and different with coral?
Maybe grey? Dark aqua? GOLD?

Hello I could totally gold-leaf this thing...


What do you think?
design dilemma, paint ikea furniture, ikea console, ikea shelf,

6 comments:

Debby said...

I love what a coat of paint can do.. pretty cool. Funny, how one painted piece can transform a whole room. I'm liking the Navy or Coral. Great blog.. I am now following. :) xo

Krista said...

I vote navy or coral. I like leaving the chartreuse as an accent. It's really a great combo that you've got going on. Just a thought, but wouldn't the console look awesome in coral against a navy wall?

Jenny said...

I vote for navy. You can add some coral and chartruese accents! Then change they out if you want something different for winter. I love the color palette, though!

Marissa Waddell said...

Awesome suggestion, Krista! I totally agree with you, coral against a navy wall would look smashing. But I'm a renter and can't paint those icky, off-white walls. Boo! :(

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Coral, baby, coral! I love what you have going on so far. And you do have a sanctuary . . . I have seen your little office space. You have a way of really putting your own personality in your space {even if you are renting!!}

miranda said...

If it was me, I'd do a bright colour to compliment the neutrals that you have in your room. I think either the coral or even the Salsa would look great in there! I'm a huge fan of colour and statement pieces...