December 19, 2011

versailles: french neoclassical heaven

I couldn't resist sharing a few more photos from my Paris trip. I've saved the best for last!

Of all the places in all the world, Versailles is the single place I felt I must see before I die. It didn't disappoint!

One word: opulent.


Every window had amazing hardware!


And every room had a grand chandelier, dramatic curtains, and tons of art.

The Queen's bedroom was done up in the style of Marie Antoinette. Every possible surface was upholstered or gilded! And she had the fabric changed out 4x per year.

Versailles had the best chairs!
MA's dressing room has a totally ingenious feature-- the window is covered with a mirror that slides up from the first floor. A mirror when she was dressing, a window when she was done!


They had an exhibit of modern decor mixed with period pieces. It was mostly avant garde stuff, but I thought this room was cool.

If you get a chance to see Versailles, GO!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Those are great pictures! It's amazing to think that such opulence and grandeur existed at a point when the rest of the country was in such disarray. Good wonder there was a revolution! We went to Versailles when I was in high school, and it's truly an amazing place. Thanks for sharing. :)

Catarina Santi said...

oh so lovely photos !!

merry christmas !!

santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Oh Paris! Every picture is beautiful. What an amazing place. Just came across your blog. I'm so glad I did. I love it!

Angie Helm Interiors said...

Love, love, love Versailles! It's one of those places you could stay for days and never tire of. I hope to go back one of these days. Sigh.