January 31, 2012

what to buy at IKEA

 As much as I love designer pieces and beautifully refinished vintage furniture, I know most people (myself included) are on a more IKEA-like budget. I think finding a cheap diamond in the rough at a flea market, thrift store, or on Craigslist is best. But sometimes IKEA hits the spot. Here are some IKEA pieces I love:



 The Alvine Ruta and Stockholm Rand flat-woven rugs (and the Koldby Cowhide above) are a good size and inexpensive. The striped rug is so popular right now, and $200 is pretty affordable for a rug.


The Hemnes line is sleek and simple. The pieces come in black, natural brown, white, and sometimes a couple of colors. It's easy to switch out the hardware for a slightly more unique look.

 
IKEA's latest sideboard, Isala, is pretty timeless. I love the legs!


 
I have the Portis coat rack, it is sturdy and has great lines.


Who doesn't love the Expedit? I've seen so many similar square shelving units at higher price points, but Expedit is my favorite.


What's your favorite IKEA piece?

Have a cool IKEA Hack to share? 
(Here's mine!)

6 comments:

Haus and Home said...

I got the cowhide rug a couple of years ago and it was definitely a good deal! Those are some other great features!

VictoriaArt said...

We've got a few things over the years at IKEA, one of the most solid buys was the wall unit we've got for our family room. I am not sure if they still make it, all pigeon shelving and glass doors, mixed with open spaces, still in perfect condition after 12 years.You know, no sagging hinges or loose knobs!
We also got a sofa, which is ok! MY son has the shelf you show, it's great!
Overall I like IKEA, just not everything. The frames are not so good, hard to change. And the bedding is not soft! lamps often too flimsy, especially floor lamps.

Annie @ House on Rene said...

There are definitely some deals to be had at Ikea! Love your pics, and your hack!

Leslie said...

I'm a huge fan of Ikea! We love our Malm bed, even though we hope to eventually upgrade to a slightly bigger one at some point. Those are great picks; I love that sideboard.

gmurphy said...

I have Hemnes upright dresser myself. I love how much storage it provides for all the clothes I cannot bear to part with. The one piece I really want is the discontinued Lack Bookcase though. It was so sleek and modern. The clean lines could be used anywhere!

Shelly said...

I just took a stroll through IKEA last weekend and that place never ceases to amaze me. The animal skin rug has to be my favorite.