March 1, 2012

japanese byobu screens

My latest obsession are these amazing Japanese paneled screens.

They're called "byobu" screens and are painted with calligraphy and usually scenes from nature, sometimes people.

Byobu screens are pretty easy to find for sale on eBay or Etsy. This unusual metallic screen would be perfect for a kid's room! (A really well-behaved, doesn't-touch-the-antiques kid.) It's HUGE-- 8.5 feet wide and 3.5 feet tall. 

This is the screen that started my obsession. Asian decor tends to have a lot of yellow and red. But I’m a big fan of the unusual screens with cool tones, pink, and crisp white. Bonus points for screens that depict birds, which many do. I *love* birds. I would really like this exact screen for my house.

5 comments:

Janna McCalley said...

That metallic screen is probably my favorite! So unusual!

Leslie said...

This is lovely!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

These are so pretty. My favorite is the metallic one.

A Lived in Home said...

I'm loving the last screen as well. I tagged you in 11 questions. The details are on my bog. Check it out.

Stair Chair Lift said...

All looks is lovely and dashing i think you also more excited like me.
Thanks for sharing...





Stair Chair Lift