May 7, 2012

southern living: tried-and-true decorating tips

Southern Living | Photo by Laurey W. Glenn
This great article by Southern Living's Editor-in-Chief, Lindsay Bierman, made the rounds on Pinterest this weekend. I've summarized his 10 "rules" below (they're not so much rules as they are great suggestions), but you should read his explanations in the original article. I mean, he used the word zillion. I want to be his friend.

1. The perfect white is Benjamin Moore "Ivory White" (925).
2. You'll never go wrong with a Charles of London or Tuxedo sofa.
3. Sea Grass rugs are cheap and customizable.
4. Add dhurries, flokati, or wool rugs as budget allows.
5. Hang curtains 2" from the ceiling.
6. Extend curtains 4" beyond the window casing.
7. Outside-mount roman shades to improve proportion.
8. Hang chandeliers 33" above tables.
9. Buy 2" thick counter tops.
10. Use cafe shutters instead of plantation shutters for a more refined look.

I think every decorator who makes a list like this has some version of Rule 5. That would definitely be on my list (which I should probably write up). I should probably also include something about the many uses for Command Hooks, given how much I've used them.

What are your tried-and-true tricks?

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great list! My husband would joke that ottomans are my must-have. I think there a great way to tastefully gain extra storage.

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Great guidelines!! Definitely need to save these. :)

Annie @ House on Rene said...

I also love storage ottomans or baskets in every room. Makes for a quick pick up if needed and things look neat and tidy!

Annie
House on Rene

designchic said...

What a great list...saving!!