June 21, 2012

coffee table dilemma

We are moving in just a few weeks and its time to upgrade our coffee table. We have a plain black one from IKEA that has been a good stand in while I've debated what I really want.


If I had my choice, I'd pick a brass and glass coffee table. But to be honest, we mostly use our coffee table to prop up our feet, which isn't exactly comfortable on a hard surface. We also have lots of friends with little kids (and will have our own at some point in the life of this table), so those sharp corners might be bad news.


The logical choice is something upholstered. I adore this ottoman by Safavieh (I'd get two). 


 And this ottoman by Rachel Ashwell is divine. But my sofa is microsuede, and I can't get on board with having that much similar upholstery in one room. Oy.



I'm thinking about getting a brass and glass coffee table anyway. This one certainly solves the kids-and-corners problem (but not the kids and smudgy fingers one).


I'll let you know once I decide. But in the meantime... any wise words?

7 comments:

kathii ford said...

It is really nice to see your blog here. All of the tables are looking really great. They are very elegant and descent. I really like their simplicity. I especially like the fourth one as its design is so fabulous.



bedside tables

Annie @ House on Rene said...

Have you considered the CB2 peekaboo coffee table or is that too modern for you?

Kirsten Krason said...

Even if I had an upholstered ottoman I'd worry about it getting dirty with feet on it all the time so I'd rather have something that's easier to clean anyway. Plus that way we can put cups and food on it if we need and I don't stress. Fingerprints would be a nightmare on glass. Sharp corners are concerning but honestly you might just need to teach your kids to be careful. good luck! I can't wait to get more details on your soon to be home and how you are going to decorate it!!

Kirsten Krason said...

Even if I had an upholstered ottoman I'd worry about it getting dirty with feet on it all the time so I'd rather have something that's easier to clean anyway. Plus that way we can put cups and food on it if we need and I don't stress. Fingerprints would be a nightmare on glass. Sharp corners are concerning but honestly you might just need to teach your kids to be careful. good luck! I can't wait to get more details on your soon to be home and how you are going to decorate it!!

Amy said...

These are some pretty coffee tables! I do have to say that glass would not be an option for me, though. We just got back from a trip visiting my grandparents and they have a glass top table. The kids had their fingers ALL over it, not only during meals, but they just wanted to play around it. I was wiping it down at least twice a day for them. I would much rather teach my kids to avoid corners than deal with a glass table. :-) But...if you know you aren't having kids for a little while and you are planning on replacing a coffee table before then, then go for it!

A Lived in Home said...

Go with the Clairemont! We have the end table and I love it!!

Ameya Home Rugs USA said...

Thanks for sharing your this info. It’s really appreciated. I bookmark this page and back to you very soon. What about you! :- Home Furnishing Company is allowing all of you to giveaway any handmade rugs/mat Home item valued up to $200 which includes doormats, kitchen rugs, bath mats, and Area Rugs padding. Meaning you can pick the pretty welcome mat what you chose OR you can pick something else that you would like!