June 5, 2012

no theme, no scheme

I used to be really concerned about rooms having a theme or a color scheme. But I've noticed lately that the rooms I love best almost never have a theme and rarely have a strict color scheme.


The place I see straight-up themes most is in kids rooms-- Winnie the Pooh, sailing, etc. I'm just not into it. I like this adorable nursery soooo much better. No theme.


I mean, look at this. The colors "go," of course, but you could probably throw any number of other colors in there and they'd look great. No scheme! I like it, I think it has character.


What do you think -- themes and schemes, yes or no?

8 comments:

Debby Steele said...

Love the vibrancy of bedroom #1. I think this is a must-pin room! xo

Meg said...

I think it's a lot easier to pull together a room with a 'scheme' or 'theme' than it is to pull off an eclectic mix of colour and style. That takes real decorating talent!

I find that since I'm not a designer or someone with a ton of 'style', I have better success using a colour scheme that I pull from a specific fabric.

Leslie said...

My mom somehow pulls everything together, while I sit and focus on making everything match. It's funny how it all works.

Sarah said...

any chance you know the wall color in pic #1? it's exactly what I want to use in my dining room!

Laura Trevey said...

Love the dark colors in the 1st photo ~ wowza!!


Laura
brightboldbeautiful.com

Annie @ House on Rene said...

I am also attracted to no scheme rooms, collected, that is the look for me!

ROOME said...

totally agree with you...go with what your heart and eye tell you!!x

Marissa Waddell said...

I wish I knew the name of the paint color, it's beautiful! So deep.