July 12, 2012

ikea knob upgrades

I have a few pieces of furniture from IKEA that have become great with a little upgrading. I painted my Rast dressers to look like Draper chests and now I want to freshen up my Hemnes TV unit. I love the shape of the Hemnes dressers-- I've suggested them to clients even if they aren't on a budget because they're really sturdy, the drawers run smoothly, and the simple silhouette works so well with everything.

 But "simple" is also a problem with IKEA stuff. I plan to jazz up my TV unit by upgrading the knobs to brass drop pulls. This is possibly the easiest upgrade ever, but it makes a huge difference. Most IKEA drawers use single-mount pulls, so these will work with a lot of different pieces.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

5 comments:

TWObirdsCO said...

Hey Marissa. Have you seen No. 1 in person? I just ordered the 51mm and 57mm sizes (from Lee Valley) in the old brass for a piece I was doing and they are really, really small. I was planning to use them as drawer pulls on a small sideboard and they just looked way too small for the piece. Don't get me wrong, I love the pull, but the size was just off. Just wanted to warn you in case you were leaning toward these.

I love options 3 or 4.

Jessica Mireles said...

I like #1 #3 and #6 - but after seeing the above warning I am worried about it now. Good luck. I can't wait to see the piece when you finish it.

Marissa Waddell said...

Jana-

I actually already have the #1 pulls on my nightstands. I love them! But you're right, they would look diminutive on a large piece.

Leslie said...

I love these upgrades! What a great idea. :)

TWObirdsCO said...

Oh good... as long as you know what the size is. My piece that I bought them for was just way too big and they looked dwarfed on it. I will say that I'm still obsessed with the brass version and hope I can find a smaller piece to use them. Love your nightstands, by the way!