July 19, 2012

where i'm starting: bookshelves

We've been in our new place for just over a week and we love it! I've sort of got a handle on what we want and need. I've learned to make a master list and (informally) prioritize before I start designing-- I'm definitely guilty of not seeing the forest for the trees sometimes. 


After establishing the big picture, I'll do a piece at a time, starting with things I know I won't change my mind about. We already have all the major furniture necessities, so the first "musts" on my list are bookshelves.


My husband has a large collection of books and they need a place to go, stat! Almost every office inspiration picture I've ever saved has been of a white bookshelf, so that's what I'm going with. I like the contrast of clean white against the darker book covers-- my husband's collection is 99% vintage religion and history books, so we're not talking bright colors. 


Lonny Magazine Sep/Oct 2011 | Photography by Patrick Cline; Interior Design by Blair Clark
Having these big pieces up and styled will make it easier to envision the rest of the room.



Here's the rest of my master list:

Kitchen
Rug (approx. 4' x 10')
Bar Stools - 2

Living Room
Rug (size TBD)
Coffee Table
Bookshelves - 2
Curtain Rod
Curtain Panels - 4
Lamps or pendant light
Above-sofa art
Throw pillows
Decorative glass vessel + branches
Basket for blankets

Bedroom
Bookshelves - 3
Curtain Rod
Curtain Panels - 4
Table lamps - 2

Bathroom
Runner (approx. 2'6" x 8')
Shower curtain
Wall art

3 comments:

Annie @ House on Rene said...

I am excited for you! I love a fresh new space!

Dina @ Honey + Fitz said...

I really need to take a page out of your book and create a master list, though mine is like 5x as long as your's. Wish I was kidding! Can't wait to see all the great things you do in this space.

Rakesh Khuntia said...

Large Area Rugs, Large Area Rugs Cheap, Buy Large Area Rugs, Large Area Rugs Online Store Price, Large Area Rugs Online Store, Online large Area Rugs Store USA, Contemporary Large Area Rugs, Natural Large Area Rug: Find beautiful 8x11 Feet area rugs and area rugs larger than 5x8 for great prices when you shop our discount Nested Wool Area Rug. Shop for large area rugs at AmeyaHome.com and save 16% today.